Submitted by email@example.com on May 15, 2013
Date:May 13, 2013
Subject:League of Women Voters of California Biennial Convention
Sent to or Published in:PR WEB
Sacramento, CA - Hundreds of delegates representing local Leagues of Women Voters throughout the state will gather in San Jose for their Biennial Convention, “myLeague: Leading the Charge for Change” on May 17-19 at the Dolce Hayes Mansion. Read more about the event on the blog.
"The purpose of our convention is for our local League members and the public to be inspired and empowered to increase active and informed participation in civic life. The weekend attracts hundreds of passionate men and women from across the state who are making democracy work and leading the charge for change in California" said League of Women Voters of California President Jennifer A. Waggoner.
League members will hear guest speakers, elect officers and the Board of Directors; approve the budget and bylaw changes and participate in educational workshops and adopt the League’s biennial program and budget.
The following highlights are scheduled to take place in the Hayes Ballroom, Dolce Hayes Mansion, 200 Edenvale Avenue, San Jose:
Guest speakers and highlights include:
· Meghann Farnsworth, distribution and online engagement for the Center for Investigative Reporting - Thursday, May 16 from 6-9 pm.
· Kim Klein, internationally known fundraising trainer and author of five books - Friday, May 17 at noon
· Ann M. Ravel, Chair of the California Fair Political Practices Commission, a lawyer who has served in the Civil Division of the U.S. Department of Justice, and in the Santa Clara County Counsel’s Office. – Saturday, May 18 at noon.
· Chris Hoene, executive director of the California Budget Project – Saturday, May 18 at 7pm.
· The Healthcare Reform for California and the Affordable Care Act (ACA) workshop hosts Deborah LeVeen speaking on the ACA and the upcoming insurance exchanges and Molly Tavella speaking on the need to go beyond the ACA to single-payer financing for health care - Friday, May 17 at 3:30 pm.
· Cheryl Grave, Senior Director of the Membership and Field Support Department, the League of Women Voters United States, Sunday, May 19 at noon.
· Election of new League president, officers and directors including current LWVC/EF Board President and San Francisco resident, Jennifer A. Waggoner, nominated for re-election as president of the League of Women Voters of California on Sunday, May 19 at 2 pm.
"Convention 2013 is filled with exciting speakers and celebrations honoring the power of collaboration and commitment to hands on work to make our state strong, safe, fair and vibrant" said President Waggoner. "The League will conduct its business and discuss the tough issues facing California, including the need for government reform" she added. Recently, the League of Women Voters of California has been active on redistricting, money in politics, initiative and referendum reform, and state and local budget issues.
Convention is the time when League members, both voting delegates and members, take advantage of training opportunities at workshops, participate in caucuses, network with peers from Humboldt County to the Imperial Valley, and listen and learn from knowledgeable speakers. It is a time for members to come together to determine the future of League. Read more about the Convention workshops and speakers on the League Convention blog.
The League of Women Voters, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy. Membership in the League is open to men and women of all ages. With more than 90 years of experience, the League is one of America’s most trusted grassroots organizations. Read more about the League of Women Voters of California .
For press credentials for one or more of these speakers or events, contact League of Women Voters of California Communications Manager, Elizabeth Leslie at eleslie(at)lwvc(dot)org.
Photos available upon request.