Most of us want similar things: good schools for our children, a healthy family, and safe neighborhoods. But for nearly four decades, big corporations have not been paying their fair share, leaving California with the most overcrowded and under resourced classrooms in the U.S. and with some of the worst ratios of counselors, librarians, and nurses per student. The Schools & Communities First Initiative, Prop 15, ensures that our schools and communities come first with the resources to educate all of our kids and the services to support all of our families. It closes commercial property tax loopholes benefiting a fraction of corporations and wealthy investors, without affecting homeowners or renters, and reclaims $12 billion every year for California’s schools, essential workers, and local governments – all while protecting homeowners and renters, small businesses, and agriculture. This initiative, needed now, more than ever, will be critical to California’s recovery and reinvestment.
What Does Schools & Communities First Do?
- RECLAIMS over $12 billion per year for K-12 schools, community colleges and local communities.
- CLOSES commercial property tax loopholes and ends shady schemes that big corporations and wealthy investors use to avoid paying their fair share of property taxes.
- PROTECTS all homeowners and renters by maintaining tax protections for ALL residential property.
- INVESTS in educating all of our kids and in the vital services necessary to support our families and communities.
- PROVIDES the single largest tax incentive in a generation to spur new investment in small businesses.
- LEVELS the playing field for all the businesses that already pay their fair share.
- ENSURES strict accountability so that money goes directly to our students and communities.
Help Us Pass the Schools & Communities First Initiative in November:
After a historical signature gathering campaign, the Schools & Communities First Initiative is on the ballot! Now comes the final and most crucial step: getting out the vote. Here’s how you can help:
- Share your story about the impact of Prop 13 on your life and those of others.
- Send a letter to the editor of your local paper using this convenient tool.
- Urge Governor Newsom to endorse Schools & Communities First
- Spread the word to friends, family, coworkers, neighbors, and anyone else you can reach to helps us win in November.
- Join the campaign: text "our future" to 97779
Paid for by League of Women Voters of California Supporting Schools and Communities First Yes on Prop 15 (Nonprofit 501c4)
|Schools and Communities First Fact Sheet||734.57 KB|