Most of us want similar things: good schools for our children, a healthy family, and safe neighborhoods. But for nearly four decades, big corporations have not been paying their fair share, leaving California with the most overcrowded classrooms in the U.S. and with some of the worst ratios of counselors, librarians, and nurses per student. Schools & Communities First ensures that our schools and communities come first with the resources to educate all of our kids and the services to support all of our families. It closes commercial property tax loopholes benefiting a fraction of corporations and wealthy investors, without affecting homeowners or renters, and reclaims $12 billion every year to fund world-class schools and strengthen local economies to lift up all Californians. It’s time to invest in California’s future.
What Does Schools & Communities First Do?
- RECLAIMS over $12 billion per year for K-12 schools, community colleges and local communities.
- CLOSES commercial property tax loopholes and ends shady schemes that big corporations and wealthy investors use to avoid paying their fair share of property taxes.
- PROTECTS all homeowners and renters by maintaining tax protections for ALL residential property.
- INVESTS in educating all of our kids and in the vital services necessary to support our families and communities.
- PROVIDES the single largest tax incentive in a generation to spur new investment in small businesses.
- LEVELS the playing field for all the businesses that already pay their fair share.
- ENSURES strict accountability so that money goes directly to our students and communities.
Help Us Pass the Schools & Communities First Initiative in November:
As of March 2020, our campaign has gathered over 1.6 million signatures to qualify the proposition for the November ballot. Our local Leagues collected approximately 7,500 signatures for Schools & Communities First! This is a full 50% over our goal!
While the petitions are being counted, our campaign is already moving on to the next phase: we're collecting stories about the impact of schools and community services on our lives and those of others. Learn about this part of the campaign to pass Schools & Communities First here.
Here are other ways you can help out:
- Spread the word to friends and family
- Join the campaign: text "our future" to 97779
Paid for by League of Women Voters of California supporting Schools and Communities First (Nonprofit 501(c)(4))
|Schools and Communities First Fact Sheet||734.57 KB|