Diagrams of the State Budget Process
A clear diagram and explanation of the budget process from CSU Chico. It was created before Proposition 25 made the budget a simple majority vote of the legislature for the budget. In addition, since the passage of Proposition 25, the budget has not been late.The publications from the Legislative Analyst’s Office are either no longer published, or are published in shorter versions. Finally, the recent budget conference committees have been more than the members from each house.
The diagram from the Department of Finance is more up to date, but not quite as clear. However, it also refers to old publications from the Legislative Analyst.
Other Information on the State Budget
The Legislative Analyst has helpful videos of key California budget topics.
California State Budget resources:
- Department of Finance: California Budget
- Legislative Analyst’s Office:
- The LAO publishes a number of budget reports and analyses every year. Search
- California Budget & Policy Center (formerly California Budget Project)
- California Budget Challenge (from Next Ten)
Governor’s Budget Issues Web page
- Budget Web pages of the Senate Republican Caucus and Senate Democratic Caucus
- Assembly Budget Committee
- Senate Budget and Fiscal Review Committee
How can you get involved?
Learn how you can become part of the League’s group of active volunteers on this issue!