Our goal is to give local Leagues the knowledge, tools, priorities and shared language so that they communicate more effectively online.
The trainings were created by Nonprofit Marketing Guide's fantastic Kivi Leroux Miller for League Easy Web (LEW). The training is free. You don't have to be a member. You don't have to register. Just click on the links below! We encourage you to share this training, too.
How Do I Take The 3-Part Training?
Download the slides and resources, so that you have them handy. Then watch the video. We recommend watching them in order. We also recommend watching them with a friend, so that you can discuss them while they happen. Don't be afraid to pause the video to take notes or talk about different ideas!
1 - Nonprofit Marketing 101 (recorded 10/22)
Learn the fundamentals of nonprofit marketing, including the three core questions that should drive all of your communications decisions. We’ll also discuss how to place your website at the center of your communications strategy and how best to integrate it with your email, social media, PR, flyers, and other communications.
2 - Communications Roles & Planning (recorded 11/16)
3 - Writing for the Web (recorded 12/2)
- Because of problems with YouTube, we shared this this video on a different site, Archive.org. We will try to upload it to YouTube, but are having technical difficulties.
- Download the slides from our Slideshare account so that you can take notes on them.
- Download the "LWV Communications Resources" handout with lots of links to more information.
- Jakob Nielsen's article "How Users Read on the Web" (1997) is a fantastic lesson in how to write for the web, written for the web.
- The "headline analyzer" from coschedule to help you write better headlines for email, web pages, social media, and more.
- The Advanced Marketing Institute's "Emotional Marketing Value Headline Analyzer" to reach people in a deep and emotional way.
- The Hemingway App makes your writing bold and clear by drawing your attention to editorial suggestions.
- Grammarly makes advanced writing suggestions.
- To help you use shorter words, Thsrs from ironicsans provides suggestions
- Online Organizing Toolkit from LWVUS has great League-specific tools.
- This recommended book is free if you check it out from the library: "Letting Go of the Words."
Who Should Take This Training?
The training is for beginners, experts, and everyone in-between. You should offer these trainings to ALL your members. These trainings are not intended to be just for the webmaster or for just the communications chair. The concepts discussed and tools demonstrated should be understood by your League's leadership if you're going to be effective in today's online world.
We strongly encourage your League to host viewing parties (just like having a movie night!). Your board or communications committee or interested members get together, watch it together, and discuss the ideas presented.