State or National:
Position in Brief:
Support a public library system as a basic community service with a long-term, assured, stable and adequate funding source. Support access by all persons to public library services as a major source of knowledge and information necessary for informed, active participation in a democratic society.
- Increase recognition of the essential nature of public libraries in a democratic society:
- Provision of library services for and to all potential users.
- Provision of adequate hours of service including evening and weekend hours.
- Provision of library resources in keeping with new ideas and technological advances, with an easy-to-use retrieval system.
- Provision of adequate professional and non-professional paid staff.
- Promote measures to insure the efficiency and economy of library services:
- Consolidation of library functions or systems to achieve cost-effectiveness that would not adversely affect the quality of service.
- Continue the use of volunteers to supplement paid staff.
- Support the improvement of library facilities to increase accessibility.
- Support long-term, assured, stable and adequate funding for public libraries:
- Public libraries should be funded by the government.
- Encourage private contributions to augment library facilities and services.
Adopted 1998; Readopted at last convention.