California Water Issues
Our Water Committee monitors and recommends action on issues concerning water in our state. The committee is always interested in learning about major water initiatives going forward around the state.
Understanding Local Potential for Securing Water Resilience: Toolkits for Evaluating Integrated Watershed Management Opportunities
Communities have many opportunities to greatly enhance water resilience at the local and watershed scale through local actions to improve water efficiency, stormwater capture, and development of recycled water and groundwater projects. Which combination of actions are the best investments and why, especially given every community has a different array of opportunities? This webinar will examine tools that support communities in evaluating integrated, multi-benefit, and equity-based water management opportunities for water and climate resilience.
Rebuilding Water Resilience from the Bottom Up
California’s water agencies struggle to maintain cost-effective, reliable, and affordable service as climate whiplash and other pressures disrupt water availability and demand. Newsha Ajami discusses the opportunities to rebuild water resilience from the bottom up and the challenges water agencies must address.
How to move water from the Mississippi River to California, the low-energy way
- LWVC Water Committee, Zoom call – Watch recording (week of 9/5/2022)
- Passcode: X@RrV#7W
- Presentation Slides
- Presentation Slides w/ speaker notes
Issues that we follow
San Francisco Bay-Delta Estuary
- Water Quality, including the Bay-Delta Plan and Voluntary Agreements
- Delta Conveyance
Groundwater, including the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act (SGMA)
California Water Commission
Colorado River Issues
Climate Change, Water, and Equity:
NEW! Water Issues Discussion with Dr. Susana De Anda
- Dr. Susana De Anda from the Community Water Center met with the Water Interest Group to discuss how to ensure the human right to water for all in California. Watch the recording.
- Where does your water come from?
- Comprehensive list of California Water Resource References, vetted by the Committee. Use the menu at the bottom of each sheet to navigate to lists of government agencies, maps, articles, reports, books, websites/blogs, and data portals.
- Overview articles about California Water, designed to be used as newsletter articles. In California, especially with climate change, Water is Related to Everything. Other article topics include California Plumbing, the Water-Energy Nexus, Managing the Water Under Our Feet, Water Reuse, Desalination, and Conservation.
- 3.25.2021 Letter to the State Water Resources Control Board
- 4.16.20 Delta Conveyance Scoping Comments
- Comments on Draft Environmental Impact Report for Delta Conveyance Project
How can you get involved?
Learn how you can become part of the League’s group of active volunteers on this issue!