Support measures to ensure environmentally sound and efficient solid waste management, to reduce the generation of wastes, to encourage resource recovery, and to increase the demand for secondary materials.
- The state should establish standards for collection and standards for regulations for disposal.
- The state should provide financial assistance to local governments for disposal facilities.
- The state should provide technical and financial assistance for research and development of improved collection and disposal methods.
- Local government should be concerned primarily with collection and disposal, subject to state standards and regulations.
- Regional solutions for solid waste disposal and recycling should be encouraged.
- The primary goal of recycling is to forestall depletion of non-renewable natural resources.
- Tax treatment should be equalized between virgin and secondary materials.
- The state should adopt specifications for products of reclaimed materials and should increase its own purchase of such materials.
- The state should provide supplemental financing for recycling facilities.
- All levels of government should encourage and support education on these issues.
Adopted 1973; Readopted at the last convention