Support measures that will protect every citizen's right to vote and ensure government's responsibility to protect this right through regulations and procedures that encourage an informed and active electorate.
- California should retain voter registration in order to identify the voter and facilitate orderly elections.
- There should be a system of permanent registration.
- There should be ease of registration and re-registration.
- Citizenship, age, and residency should be reasonable requirements of registration.
- Election services that safeguard the voting process should be maintained.
- Persons not literate should be provided the opportunity to vote and permitted to have assistance. Non-English-speaking citizens should be provided the opportunity to vote.
- The voter should be provided with relevant, accurate and easily understandable information on elections, election issues, and candidates.
- There should be local options in implementing the State Election Code but the state should take a stronger role in encouraging the facilitation of registration and voting.
Adopted 1972; Reviewed 1986; Readopted at the last convention